The parish of Crimond used to operate fishing boats from
the Burn of Rattray estuary in Strathbeg Bay until the
dunes eventually sealed it from the sea to form the Loch
of Strathbeg in the 1720s. There was no more fishing until
the Rattray Estate built the new fishing village at Rattray
Head around 1795. Officially the Seatown of Rattray, it
quickly became known as Botany after the desolate penal
colony recently established in 1788 at Botany Bay in Australia.
Most of the new population arrived in 1803 comprising
a few fishermen from Boatlea and a few locals.
Although the sea was abundant with cod, fishing was poor
as many days were lost due to the weather and hazardous
waters around Rattray Head. Fisher families had given
up on Botany after a short period, and by the mid 1830s
only a few farming families occupied the village. After
further advertising for fishermen in 1838, a few fisher
families moved to Botany around 1842 where they endured
a very meagre existence, quite often living off the many
rabbits, ducks, and gulls in the area. The village struggled
on during the next hundred years or so until the middle
of the 20th century, and there now remains only piles
of rubble and a few ruins.